Description – dark color; quite light texture, with a lot of sand and organic material, pieces of plants and rotten leaves,
looks quite fertile, but smells a bit rotten.
Location – soil from the little park at Institute for Advanced Sustainability Studies (IASS), Potsdam, Brandenberg, Germany
My values/uses for this soil-
– I cross this park almost every day at work.
– soil is quite soft when you walk over it in later winter.
– supports growth of old trees, bulbs, grass and moss
– surface on which to throw feed for birds
Our challenges/managements using this soil for a park
– bare patches, from people walking off-path
– cold of winter
Credits of pics: taken through smartphone, Katrin Wlucka, Potsdam, Germany, Editing Jeanie Clark, Warracknabeal, Australia (cc) February 2015
page setup 23 March 2015, updated 8 January 2016